Air Fryer Margarita Chicken picks up so much flavor from a citrusy marinade. Wonderfully tender, juicy, and flavorful!
How To Serve Air Fryer Margarita Chicken
The marinade for this recipe has so much flavor. The base of the marinade is frozen Margarita mix which is wonderfully sweet and tart. There’s also lime juice, orange juice, honey, tequila, cilantro, cumin, and garlic powder.
How Long To Marinate The Chicken?
The sweet spot for this marinade is about 2 hours. That’s enough time for the chicken to pick up the flavors of the marinade. You don’t want to marinate it for longer than 3 to 4 hours. The acid from the citrus will start to change the texture of the chicken.
How Long Does Chicken Take To Air Fry?
It depends on the size of the chicken breasts and the air fryer model so use the cooking time as an estimate. An 8-ounce chicken breast takes about 12 to 13 minutes to air fry at 360 degrees.
If the chicken breasts are really thick and large, either cut them into two thinner pieces or pound them out some. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. An instant read thermometer is really handy to make sure you don’t overcook the chicken.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yes! This recipe is wonderful when made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Add a few minutes onto the cooking time since thighs take a little longer than breasts to cook.
Can I Use Fresh Garlic Instead of Garlic Powder?
Yes! You can use 1 to 2 colves of minced fresh garlic instead of 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Can The Cilantro Be Left Out?
Yes! If you are one of the many who can’t stand cilantro, just leave it out.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Air Fryer Margarita Chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen Margarita mix, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon tequila, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 to 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Combine first 11 ingredients in a large ziptop bag.Add chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade. If you have time, let chicken sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees. Spray basket lightly with oil.Add chicken and cook 8 minutes. Flip over and air fry another 5 to 7 minutes.Note: If chicken breasts are large and thick you may need to cook them 8 minutes once you flip them.