Air Fryer Fried Okra fries up super crispy in just 6 minutes. Much healthier than deep frying.
Fried Okra is one of my favorite southern foods. It is so crispy and the flavor is wonderfully unique. It can be served as a side dish, appetizer or snack.
A mixture of cornmeal and all-purpose flour creates a super crispy coating for this okra.
Choosing Okra Pods
Choose okra pods that are shorter rather than longer. Longer okra pods have been growing longer and are much more fibrous.
I prefer okra that’s just seasoned with salt and pepper but for more flavor you can add a little paprika or garlic powder to the cornmeal mixture. Add some cayenne pepper if you want it spicy.
Air Fryer Cooking Times
Air fryer cooking times vary so use the cooking time as an estimate.
Air Fryer Fried Okra Recipe Tips
Avocado oil can be used instead of vegetable oil.
For best results, do not crowd the air fryer basket. Cook in batches if necessary.
Best eaten right away. Fried Okra does not keep well.
More Okra Recipes
More Ways To Cook Veggies In an Air Fryer
Air Fryer Fried Okra
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 pound fresh okra pods, sliced
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.Place egg in a second medium bowl and lightly beat it.
- Add okra to the egg and stir to coat the okra well.
- Add about 6 pieces of okra at at time to the cornmeal mixture and toss to coat.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with vegetable oil. Place half the okra in the basket. Spray okra with Vegetable oil.
- Air fry at 400 for 6 to 8 minutes. Open the air fryer halfway through and shake the basket.Repeat with second batch.